Monday, May 3, 2010

Review - The Dead Weather "Sea of Cowards"



Jack White is back yet again with The Dead Weather, with their second LP in less than a year.

This time around, the blues are more evident, but the sparks did not start many fires for me.

The album starts off pretty rough with "Blue Blood Blues." Jack leads this one, with some harsh lyrics. This song, like many on the album, do not show the talent of Dean Fertita (guitars/organ) as well as the first album did.

Some other disappointments were "I'm Mad" and "I Can't Hear You." They lacked what I wanted, which were those obscure drum beats that Jack usually provides. They just seemed very thrown together.

There are some gems, however. "Jawbreaker" and "Looking at the Invisible Man" are two key tracks that I instantly fell for. I also love "Old Mary." It is a very dark track that makes me think of a church painted black.

"Gasoline" is another very interesting track. It is classic Jack.

The single off the album, "Die by the Drop," is another classic. It captures what I expected from the album. It is a very gothic yet accessible track.

It could just be that Sea of Cowards is more of a Horehound B-Sides album. I am not sure if these are the other half of the 25 songs Jack said were already written prior to Horehound's release. Half of the songs of the album run under 3 minutes, with none making it past the 4 minute mark.

I'm not sure if the album will grow more on me or not. It is a fine piece of work for any average band, but this is Jack White. This is Alison Mosshart. I wanted more.

This album receives a 7/10.

No comments: